My photo
A Canadian expatriate living and exploring first France now Germany, then BACK to FRANCE (!!!) with her family; former fashion designer, turned unexpected UNLIKELY NOMAD, raising two children, writing, photographing, painting, playing piano (who knew!!) and blogging - and now... full time student at ART SCHOOL!! (I MUST be crazy!!)

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Scone?


Lily is going through what shall we say is a "Sensitive" food period...it has been going on for a while now and ooooh, as patient as I am, I am beginning to loose it...the patience that is.

It usually starts out as some quiet whining, then escalates to something a bit louder and more difficult to ignore. About midway through the meal after she has succeeded in garnering everyone at the tables attention she starts telling me that she is "full" even though she has eaten almost nothing on her plate and is still carrying around the "before-dinner-when-I-was-still-grumpy-and-hungry-look" on her face. I have tried ignoring it, I know it is stage that WILL PASS...but arghh!!

Today after exactly the same routine and with her plate (on which there was origionally only a teeny tiny portion) still more than half full I decided to let it go and ...well, not worry about it. When I offered her a tiny piece of freshly baked scone she immediately gobbled it up, promptly asked for another with Jam.

!!!

I am loathe to admit that I am being manipulated by my children as I prefer to think of it as them expressing their needs in a child's way...(any way they can and who can blame them) but I must confess I think I am being dangled a bit and ...and well... I guess she got me, (right where she wants me) again...

4 comments:

oreneta said...

That kids, bless her darling sweet self, does not realize that she has NOTHING to complain about. I have eaten your cooking enough to KNOW that there ain't nothin' yucky on your table. My kids still rhapsodize over some of the things you've made...

Nomad said...

You are SO sweet...
any requests?

Anonymous said...

Ohhh this is a tricky one...

My guys went through a picky eating stage when they were little and when they didn't eat their dinner then I'd wrap it up and make them eat it before they could have anything else. No no that didn't sound right...they weren't made to eat it it's just so they understood that they couldn't come asking for cookies an hour after they were supposed to eat their dinner. If they were hungry I would just reheat the meal they ignored before they were allowed to eat anything else...

I didn't always work and sometimes I caved...but I also think time and age will take care of that too. Now my guys eat just about everything.

Mealtime battles are not fun.

**strength, nomad, strength**

Nomad said...

*Sigh*

Thanks Trish... you are always the voice of reason...

Yeah I refuse to do the battle thing...too many bad vibes...we tend to keep it short and sweet for that very reason. You hate to be a meanie though, know what I mean?

:-)

What we have been up to...