One of my favourite things to do when it gets hot is to get organized to make gazpacho.
Summer in a bowl.
Heather's favourite 20 minute gazpacho
Place in large bowl and puree until fine
- 8-10 very red tomatoes cored
- 1 small tin of tomato paste
- 1 med sized can of stewed tomatoes
- 1 green pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 1 large English cuke
- 1 small mild red onion
- 1 clove of Garlic
Add herbs and puree lightly to preserve colour
Stir well. While stirring gently with a wisk to blend flavours add the following. Taste as you go to balance salty, sour, sweet.
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup of sugar (depends on the sweetness of the tomatoes)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 oxo veg stock cube
- 1-2 teaspoons of salt
- fresh pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon of hot chile paste
- 1/2 cup of good olive oil
Chill for at leat 4 hours and then serve with a dolop of yoghurt or fromage blanc, or decorate a drizzle of olive oil, fresh pepper and sprig of basil. This will keep nicely in the fridge for several days and will improve in flavour, especailly the next day.